Friday, October 15, 2010

Day 1 - Like a book report

if the book was Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Just kidding. Hunter S just reburst into a furious little cosmic dust tornado. annnyhoo, here it be, Day 1

Theme: To find shelter from the storm, head directly to the (former) eye.

So I needed to get away, that was obvious. When I first proclaimed that I thought I wanted to go to Vietnam in August, I hadn't planned a speck of the trip. By the time I boarded the long range bastard to Seoul, the only thing I had planned was a ride from the airport to my hotel. Like all things in life, you figure it out. ..no matter what. So on Oct 2nd at 12:35 I departed ORD and at 2:20pm October 3rd I arrived in Seoul. Flying over Korea and the Yellow Sea was really beautiful. Super low, misty, serene. 72F not warm enough yet. My head is super foggy and messy and I think it's neato that I can see North Korea. Hi Krazy Kim. Surprise, my cell phone, that was signed up to work in Korea, does not work in Korea. I got a really good latte for 8200 whatever-currency-korea-uses. turns out thats a good deal. The Incheon airport is MADE for sleeping. I highly suggest transfers in Asia THERE. it's super quiet, and the rows of chairs become little apartments between 10pm and 7am. I got damn good sleep in that airport.

Anyway, the flight to Hanoi was uneventful except for my vietnamese super duper wealthy and loud seatmates. Fun. they taught me some vietnamese and gave me business cards. I would say exchanged bus. cards, but I work for FedEx and they are ridiculous/stingy/terrible with general business practices. Maybe I'll make my own like the motobike drivers do. Anyway, we land, and the airport is 100F and crowded and nuts and I find my driver in less than 4 seconds and we are off. 40 minutes of bad vietglish later I'm at Charming Hotel, totally charmed and tired and I crash. For 6 long hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment